Innies and Outies: Time the Truth was Told

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian

Innies and Outies: Time the Truth was Told

Post by Spoonbill »

Does anyone here know why it is that some folks have 'innie' navels and others have 'outies'?

Is it pot luck as to how your tissue settles down after your placenta has been cut? Or are outies caused by crap midwives and rubbish doctors botching their task somehow?

It's time I knew the truth. (And I bet EnglishAngel knows it.)

And can you have an outie surgically transformed into an innie?

And where do dogs and cats keep their navels - eh?
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

OK , Mary : over to you !
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Nothing to do with the doctors or midwives.

an outie is usually caused by a small hernis where the umbilical cord vessels have come through the abdominal wall muscles and they haven't closed behind them. this will usually disappear as soon as the baby starts raising its head but if it persists a small op can close the hernia.

In the old days it would be pushed in and bandaged with an old penny on top, I will leave it to your imagination what this was like underneath in this weather.

One of mine had a small hernia but it was gone by about 3 months. Now has one of the neatest innies I have ever seen.

If the parents don't get the op done then the child will grow up with an outie. It can be sorted when the person is older.

Many (if not most) women find that their innie becomes an outie towards the end of pregnancy when the muscles relax and the pressure rises inside. all goes back to normnal after delivery though.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

englishangel wrote:Many (if not most) women find that their innie becomes an outie towards the end of pregnancy when the muscles relax and the pressure rises inside. all goes back to normnal after delivery though.
Daughter no. 1 was very disappointed, as was I, that my belly-button didn't pop out towards the end of my pregnancy. I was really looking forward to that happening!
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

cj wrote:
englishangel wrote:Many (if not most) women find that their innie becomes an outie towards the end of pregnancy when the muscles relax and the pressure rises inside. all goes back to normnal after delivery though.
Daughter no. 1 was very disappointed, as was I, that my belly-button didn't pop out towards the end of my pregnancy. I was really looking forward to that happening!
I suppose it would have given her just a little more space.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian

Post by Spoonbill »

SO THEN: The message seems to be that if you've got an outie, your parents were callous divs who couldn't be bothered about their newborn baby's welfare - but that you CAN get your outie converted to an innie. (I assume you'd have to pay, though, unless you can convince the National Health Service that your outie has driven you insane.)

My thanks to Englishangel, whose vast knowledge humbles me.
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

Post by Ruthie-Baby(old a/c) »

The problem at the moment though is that I thought I'd just have a little look round the forum while in an internet cafe, only now you're making me laugh out loud... and it's embarrasing :oops:
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

So why do some women suffer from 'inverted nipples' ?

A logical question to follow the thread.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Do they suffer? It doesn't hurt and should make no difference when breast-feeding.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"