Happy Christmas-- Hanukah - Ede-- Whatever

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

midget
Button Grecian

Re: Happy Christmas-- Hanukah - Ede-- Whatever

Post by midget »

What a work of art, Angela! My cake decorating is like my flower arranging, the harder I try, the more of a mess it looks!
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Angela Woodford wrote:Thank you Mary for helping me post the picture - and thank you Ann for your kind comment!

There is only one slice left now...
Wow! Love it!

I shall plant some trees in its honour once the rains come. Apparently SA is in for the hottest year on record :wine:
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

How lovely of you all! :shock:

But honestly, it took no time at all to swirl and fluff on royal icing with a palate knife and drizzle melted glacier mints over a greaseproofed-papered rolling pin. Those icicles were set in a minute!

That long ago Christmas when I was arranging a divorce was a better cake really - it was a Life Is a Disaster Cake featuring a Santa's Sledge crashed into a snowdrift, an expired claws-up robin, a felled Christmas tree and a singed sprig of holly. There was no mistletoe represented.

Sigh.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

At the risk of going :offtopic:, you can get divorce cakes these days. This links to an article (with pics!) in the Telegraph:

http://tinyurl.com/yfyj8t3
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

:offtopic:
Does anyone watch "Ace of Cakes" on Good Food Channel 249 on Sky? Well worth a look.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote::offtopic:
Does anyone watch "Ace of Cakes" on Good Food Channel 249 on Sky? Well worth a look.

I can't afford 'Sky' !

Still I suppose you can't have your CAKE and eat it !

:lol:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I am, most in-appropriately, on Virgin, with so many Channels (Down JR !) that I can't keep up !
Beyond 601 which is the constant BBc News, there are American Newses, Shopping Channells and Cartoons ad Nauseum !
but below BBc 1 (101) are a series of Radio programmes, including things like the Test Match and Radio Cymry in Welsh, Radio Ulster and the like. -- Great Fun !
Back to Topic --- the ampersand on my keyboard comes out as " & " although on the KEY is is the expected traditional, "Squiggle"
I loved the picture of the Cake --- Brilliant !
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

Angela Woodford wrote: That long ago Christmas when I was arranging a divorce was a better cake really - it was a Life Is a Disaster Cake featuring a Santa's Sledge crashed into a snowdrift, an expired claws-up robin, a felled Christmas tree and a singed sprig of holly. There was no mistletoe represented.
Sigh.
I would like you to stop and consider, just for one moment, what an endless, rollercoaster of delicious eccentricity it would have been to have L'Angela as an Aunt - how envious your friends would have been, the stories, the shopping trips, the cooking disasters and triumphs, the effervescence and endless positive support and generosity to all and sundry!

My Mum is fab and I wouldn't swop her for anything or anyone but L'Angela as a big sister or an Aunt would have been amazing, I'd swop my three older brothers in a heartbeat! Keep it up AW, keep it up!

:backtotopic:
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

englishangel wrote::offtopic:
I've seen it from time to time but the ephisodes all seem "sameish" (nothing to do with the Same people, Frances :wink: ). Very much "slap it on" rather than the exquisite work which can sometimes be seen - on wedding cakes for example.
I can appreciate their ability to design something within a given theme and a person setting up his/her own business like that .............. (Did you see the ephisode about setting up the company?)
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Gerrie, Gerrie, you are too, too kind to this ageing person. I am lost for words, really! I was DR's Hertford Disaster, and have never really regained morale since then! :oops: But thank you so much.

Cakes! I agree with David - the mass-production appearance of a commercial theme cake doesn't, to me, look that appealing. My sister does cakes of an exquisite perfection, and I could never achieve that standard - but I do like a cake to look as if it's actually delicious, and not so perfect and elaborate that it's a crime to cut into it. It's rather like meeting somebody so beautifully dressed that you notice the clothes before the person wearing them - that sort of thing!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

On Ace of Cakes the cakes do seem more like works of art, and not actually meant to be eaten, but I saw one episode the other day where a wedding cake had been prepared when the bride caught the groom in bed with the maid of honour (hmmm) and surprise, surprise called the wedding off. The pleasure with which the Ace of Cakes staff devoured (no other word for it) the cake showed that it tasted pretty good as well.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

gma wrote:
Angela Woodford wrote: That long ago Christmas when I was arranging a divorce was a better cake really - it was a Life Is a Disaster Cake featuring a Santa's Sledge crashed into a snowdrift, an expired claws-up robin, a felled Christmas tree and a singed sprig of holly. There was no mistletoe represented.
Sigh.
I would like you to stop and consider, just for one moment, what an endless, rollercoaster of delicious eccentricity it would have been to have L'Angela as an Aunt - how envious your friends would have been, the stories, the shopping trips, the cooking disasters and triumphs, the effervescence and endless positive support and generosity to all and sundry!

My Mum is fab and I wouldn't swop her for anything or anyone but L'Angela as a big sister or an Aunt would have been amazing, I'd swop my three older brothers in a heartbeat! Keep it up AW, keep it up!

:backtotopic:

I'd have married her !!! ------ (TBA is NOT looking over my shoulder ! )
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Lovely of you NEILL - but then the Divorce Disaster Cake would never have been created!

*blows kiss*