Snow

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Snow

Post by englishangel »

Pixie wrote:Minor/less seriuos car accidents seem to be higher. One of my brother-in-laws and my cousin both had accidents during the last few days. When the driver delivered a courtesy car to my brother-in-law on friday he said this past week is the busiest he's ever known.
That's understandable, pic in today's paper of Gwytheth Paltrow exchanging details with another driver after a minor bump.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

a) Prescription, Pixie. Yes, I have just managed to get out to the local Sainsburys pharmacy, where I have had things dispensed before. They have kindly given me two days' supply of the two most urgent drugs and if the prescription does not come tomorrow (and it won't have done by the time I leave for work) then I have to phone the surgery and get them to fax the whole prescription to Sainsburys, for me to collect later.

b) It's thawing here but the outside temperature is still -0% (I never understand that...). Last night's promised snow did not arrive but the skies are heavy and grey and I can't help but think that there is more to come.

c) Blitz spirit? My next door neighbours have kept in touch by text since Wednesday, offering to shop for me etc. etc.. Whe I got back from Sainsburys just now I found that they had dug out my front path for me. All I had to do was provide salt to stop it freezing over.

d) Love the back garden, Janet! And you have a couple of days' more holiday?

e) Roads/accidents. I live in a Close, off a side road. Neither of them, nor the pavements, have been treated. The road surfaces are hard rutted with ice and are scary, so we are all driving at about 5 mph. Whilst the more heavily used roads are wet and clear, the side roads which lead into them are not. When driving home from Sainsburys I approached a side road on my left, which was on a bit of a slope. A large Mercedes was coming down the slope rather gingerly but when it got near the junction, it braked - and did not stop. I watched the wheels just slide - and managed to stop, myself, just in time. Shows how easy these 'little' bumps are in current circumstances.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

kerrensimmonds wrote: A large Mercedes was coming down the slope rather gingerly but when it got near the junction, it braked - and did not stop. I watched the wheels just slide - and managed to stop, myself, just in time. Shows how easy these 'little' bumps are in current circumstances.
It';s not always snow/ice which causes skidding. \imaging a long steep hil with a Tee junction at the bottom and a substantial brick wall opposite the hill.
Now imagine a group of cyclists coming down the hill and one falls over spreading blood over the ground. That is what happened on the first of many laps in Windsor Great Park during one of the cycling races during the 1948 Olympics. I think there were enough survivors to populate the rostrum at the end - it was bloodbath.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Rear wheel drive cars have the most trouble, just watch the BMWs, Mercedes and Jaguars........and laugh.
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

4p.m Wokingham Berks

It's snowing!!!!!!

:sherlock:

Please Mr J Taylor Sir, can we have a happy and a sad snowman smiley please, so we can indicate delight or exasperation with the weather!!??
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

gma wrote:4p.m Wokingham Berks

It's snowing!!!!!!

:sherlock:

Please Mr J Taylor Sir, can we have a happy and a sad snowman smiley please, so we can indicate delight or exasperation with the weather!!??

I've got a very happy snowman picture, but I daren't post it on here - Even as a Moderator !

Ask Kerren - She's seen it !!! :lol:

:oops: :shock:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Shuttup JR! It made even me blush.....
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

wimps

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

The Post from the USA, got it about right -----
If your local Council had stored enough Grit etc. to allow for the current cointiuation of Snow and Ice -----
and there had been the usual weather for December and January,-------- all Hell would have broken loose, in the Press, about wasted money, incompetent Council Officials, etc.etc. AND your local Representative Councillor's telephone, would have rung from Morning to Night ---- which it is now doing, because of the present situation !

I'm sorry, if I sound bitter --- but I have worn the Video and seen the T shirt ! :lol:

Quote from a Lady, about a month ago, as I was walking to the Postbox ------ "Why aren't you still on the Council ? This Verge hasn't been cut for WEEKS -- its a DISGRACE !!"

Do I say "You stupid Cow ! I retired from the Council 9 years ago !!!" ? :twisted:

No, I smile sweetly -- and pass the comment on to the appropriate person !

You just can't win ! :lol:
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

J.R. wrote:

I've got a very happy snowman picture, but I daren't post it on here - Even as a Moderator !

Ask Kerren - She's seen it !!!
:shock: :oops: :?:

Kerren???????
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

gma wrote:
J.R. wrote:

Ask Kerren - She's seen it !!!
:shock: :oops: :?:

Kerren???????

Unfortunately, I've deleted it from my HD, (accidently, I hasten to add).

If Kerren still has it and sends it back, I'll happily forward to anyone who supplies their e-mail address !
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

In these days of lack of gritting on non-essential roads, I see some Councils are advising residents NOT to salt and grit their paths/driveways that lead out onto the road.

Apparently, if 'Joe-Public' walks across your gritted area, takes a tumble and 'injures' themself, they are quite entitled to sue you for not doing the job properly.

I ASK YOU !!!!
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

JR -- I agree, this is a non-sensical state of affairs ---

BUT -- if you don't clear it --- can you be had for "Neglect of Duty of Care " ?

Of corse my Castle is protected by Razor Wire, anti-persoonel Mines, Free running Attack Dobermans (Dobermen ?)
and light machine guns firing on fixed lines !

There is a notice (in small print) warning people that they enter at their own risk !!! :lol:
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

NO, you should clear your OWN path, but not the one where the council should doit
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Well, the squirrels have just discovered the three bags of peanuts concealed for the tits, (if you'll pardon the expression) !

YUP - NEARLY ALL GONE !