2012 Admissions Thread

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Re: 2012 Admissions Thread

Post by pinkhebe »

My son was in Maine B last year. Quite a few of the boys got through, hopefully it will be a lucky house for you too
MW224
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by MW224 »

So was mine Pinkhebe, I suppose they wouldn't have used all of the houses. Good luck lippizaner, such an exciting experience!!!
lippizaner
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by lippizaner »

Thanks! Fingers crossed it'll be a lucky house for us too then!
He is very excited but not at all nervous, having decided that doing exams is quite fun.
And we've got our ferry ticket booked too.
Just got to cross my fingers that the weather isn't too bad in the New Year - and take lots of seasickness tablets with us just in case!
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

The January residential is a lot more FUN that the November assessment. He will love it!

Good luck :)
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

My son had a blast on the residential!
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

Yes my son really enjoyed it as well, I think that must have helped him get a place - the fact that he was obviosuly at home in the CH environment. It also helped when he started at CH as he was already prepared for what to expect.
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

A family friend's DS is going for the residential in January...exciting times! I went with them on their first open day in March 2010 :)
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
jodz5052
2nd Former

Post by jodz5052 »

Hi

Any tips on what to pack for the residential on Thursday ? I have read the letter but just thought I would ask experienced parents !!

Thanks
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

I've just had a phone call from the assistant housemaster asking my son to go and help with the residentials, so I shall be loosing him for 2 precious days (although I shall be at work those 2 days, so it's quite good timing)

I'm trying to remember what we packed, son had a pack of top trumps, his room mate shared some chocolate. Apart from that I think we just stuck to what was on the list !

Good luck everyone :D
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

I've just remembered that a helpful parent also recommended a warm blanket!
Pibble
3rd Former

Post by Pibble »

My DD is helping out at her house as well, I can't believe that this time last year we were going through the stress of preparing for the residential.

At decent blanket is a great idea as is a pair of slippers if your DS/DD wear them that is, the house floors are chilly and not carpeted throughout! My DD has just told me to mention a teddy or the like. She also says a coat is a must as it gets chilly in big school.

Hope this helps.

Oh and of course Good luck to you and yours.

P
Atticus
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Atticus »

Hi Jodz, my dd recommends a dressing gown - some of the assessments went into the evening, and she had the last one not long before bed. That sounds scary, but she says it wasn't. She really enjoyed the two days immensely - we were the anxious ones.

Which house is she staying in? In dd's house it's the LE's and above who do the residentials. I hope she has a wonderful time.

Pinkhebe and Pibble, hope your ds and dd have a good time - my dd can't wait to help. :D

Fingers crossed for all the children doing the residential - dd and I are in Horsham if anyone is at a loose end on Friday morning, and you are welcome to join us ( in costa in West Street at 10.30 )

Good luck xxx
Last edited by Atticus on Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

I would agree with that last comment- my son really enjoyed the residential whilst we were steadilly gnawing away at our finger nails! It is definitely not an ordeal for the children at all. I do also believe it is by far the best way to really see whether a child is suitable for C.H (and vice versa). For those lucky enough to get a place it also does make it easier on the first day of term, the children already have a basic knowledge of the school and the boarding houses and know what to expect. Good luck everyone!
lippizaner
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by lippizaner »

Hi everyone, setting out on the first leg of our very long journey tomorrow! I am crossing my fingers the channel crossing won't be too bad and that these high winds will have died down by 5.30pm Wednesday! If not, we are going armed with the phone number for the Tunnel! As we intend to be at CH by 10.30 on the 5th by hook or by crook! Even if DH and I are propping our eyes open with matchsticks from the drive! DS can at least sleep in the car with his duvet and pillow packed!
I have a feeling we're going to need a prize for determination to get there, if this weather persists. It is HORRIBLE here in France. I am also taking copious supplies of sea sickness tablets. DS gets sick, and I get severe vertigo which is affected by a bad journey, so am rather worried about a rough crossing. Part of me is hoping we will need to go to the Tunnel. That, or flat calm, would suit me best!
See you all on Thursday morning - I hope!
Atticus
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Atticus »

Hi Lippi, the weather here is terrible too. I have just seen the BBC forecast - the very heavy wind and rain will ease tonight in the southeast (edit to say it's just become very still and sunny), but will still be windy and initially wet tomorrow. There will be heavy rain on Wednesday night, but Thursday so far looks dry and much less windy.

Good luck with the journey, and for the residential xx
Last edited by Atticus on Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.