House Study Doors

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

House Study Doors

Post by Kit Bartlett »

It was the practice in Coleridge A, and I am sure other houses too, for occupants of the two studies to brand their names on the inside of the doors. This was done with a red hot poker from the fire. They were there for very many years and only disappeared when the house was refurbished. I remember raising at that time the possibility of retaining these doors for the museum as they were of historic interest. I believe that some-one told me that unless the Old Blues concerned were particularly famous this was not considered worth while, In the excellent video compiled by Peter Hiner, (CA 54-62) of the Old Blues Coleridge A Reunion 2000 there is interesting footage of some of the names.
Has anyone any memories of this practice? The Coleridge A ones dated from c 1940.
AKAP
Grecian

Re: House Study Doors

Post by AKAP »

The Barnes B door was branded CMES, initials well known to those of us at CH during the time of Seaman's headship.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

I never branded my study door, but I still claim the record for keeping a fire going without interruption. 44 days in Jan/Feb 1963. I nearly burnt down a study too, but that was electrical irresponsibility rather than the fire.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Post by postwarblue »

I only had the use of a study for a week, while the legitimate owner was away doing Oxbridge, but I'm sure I would have noticed this if it were the case in Col B. Just as I do remember one study owner putting an unpierced tin of baked beans on his study fire .. VP would have been pleased at us learning heuristically that baked beans expand to fill the study available.
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

postwarblue wrote:I only had the use of a study for a week, while the legitimate owner was away doing Oxbridge, but I'm sure I would have noticed this if it were the case in Col B. Just as I do remember one study owner putting an unpierced tin of baked beans on his study fire .. VP would have been pleased at us learning heuristically that baked beans expand to fill the study available.

I certainly don't remember any branded names or house numbers on the study doors in my time either, and I did swab for occupants of both.

Then again, I don't ever remember doing a detailed study of the doors !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

AKAP wrote:The Barnes B door was branded CMES, initials well known to those of us at CH during the time of Seaman's headship.
Which door was that?
I had the right hand study and was also a swab for that study, but can't remember any initials.
BTW, did anyone find a lion skin in my study after I left? I bought it off Pinnigar but forgot to take it off the wall along with the flag. At a recent OBD, Miles asked if I still had it, and I had to admit I did not, although I didn't tell him the reason.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Now that's a memory test, I would have said the right hand study door, but can't be sure.
p.s can't remember anyone finding a lion skin.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

AKAP wrote:Now that's a memory test, I would have said the right hand study door, but can't be sure.
p.s can't remember anyone finding a lion skin.

Right hand study as you entered the day room, or departed it ?

Sorry - Just me being pedantic.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

entered