What's the Question?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Did these biscuits arrive during break? I can vaguely remember them in my Junior House, but not in my Senior House (mind you, I was probably down the tube having a smoke instead......).
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Rory
Deputy Grecian

Post by Rory »

and there was me just being flippant...
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

BISCUITS

Post by UserRemovedAccount »

In my day (groans from all readers) - i.e., 1948-55 - PT and showers were followed by biscuits and milk in the mid-morning break. I had forgoten all about it unitl this discussion, but the biscuits were called "Millstone Grit" (why I have no idea) and came in large square tins. Very occasionally, instead of "Millstone Grit" we would get "Ginger Nuts" which were greatly appreciated - more for their rarity than any gastronomic reason, I believe. The milk came in small bottles (either one-half or one-third of a pint, not sure which), which I have never seen anywhere else. Both biscuits and milk were compulsory, but I cannot recall that we objected.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: BISCUITS

Post by englishangel »

petard249 wrote:In my day (groans from all readers) - i.e., 1948-55 - PT and showers were followed by biscuits and milk in the mid-morning break. I had forgoten all about it unitl this discussion, but the biscuits were called "Millstone Grit" (why I have no idea) and came in large square tins. Very occasionally, instead of "Millstone Grit" we would get "Ginger Nuts" which were greatly appreciated - more for their rarity than any gastronomic reason, I believe. The milk came in small bottles (either one-half or one-third of a pint, not sure which), which I have never seen anywhere else. Both biscuits and milk were compulsory, but I cannot recall that we objected.
1/3 pint of milk was standard in schools until Margaret Thatcher - Milk Snatcher took it away in 1971.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

Post by Ruthie-Baby(old a/c) »

swirl wrote:well, in my opinion, house biscuits are there for when all other edible food has been consumed and it's the only thing to keep you alive
Yeah, how true.

Mind you, house bread, in the form of toast, kept me alive. Unfortunately it also started my lifelong toast addiction which has adversely affected my waistline. Hmm, can I sue CH for supplying too much bread and affecting my health? Probably if it were in America!

Only joking :wink:
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
swirl
3rd Former

Post by swirl »

house bread's only use is to try and sober up someone when they're absolutley rat-arsed and are gonna get bust. or for wiing kitchen surfaces when on trades and can't find a cloth. It's surprisingly absorbant for bread.....
sport!
Deputy Grecian

Post by sport! »

petard249 wrote:In my day (groans from all readers) - ............. biscuits and milk in the mid-morning break.
I seem to remember the biscuits and milk.......and also lugging a milk churn from the farm on at least one occasion.....was that on a Sunday I wonder?
swirl
3rd Former

Post by swirl »

we just it from the local daairy (cant remeber naame) for aour milk,
FrogBoxed
Deputy Grecian

Post by FrogBoxed »

Rory wrote:
FrogBoxed wrote:buscuits are an entirely different matter
So - who made the buscuits then???
and when you say matter - are you being scientific???
I assume the buscuits were made by Criwfards (assuming that each vowel has been moved forward two in the a, e, i, o, u range).

And the matter would be "anti-" or possibly "doesn't"—scientists are yet to confirm as it's hard to tie down and test.
Louise Barr Col B 89–96 | Frog Box Design
Rory
Deputy Grecian

Post by Rory »

Thinks far yaer mossigo.
Naw uts cloir.
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

petard249 wrote: Very occasionally, instead of "Millstone Grit" we would get "Ginger Nuts" which were greatly appreciated.
You're lucky - Robin Cook's missus had to put up with Ginger Nuts twice a night. Until he died...
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

marty wrote:
petard249 wrote: Very occasionally, instead of "Millstone Grit" we would get "Ginger Nuts" which were greatly appreciated.
You're lucky - Robin Cook's missus had to put up with Ginger Nuts twice a night. Until he died...
That is appalling bad taste but I couldn't help sniggering.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

so am I , must admit !
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

we really are a disgracefully iconoclastic lot here...
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

BISCUITS

Post by UserRemovedAccount »

I just knew the word "nuts" was a hostage to fortune, but hadn't thought of the Cooke connection.

Incidentally,even the Millstone Grit was an epicurean feast compared to the Army biscuit!