More On Health

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Should the NHS fund alternative Treatments?

YES if clinically beneficial
85%
NO conventional medicine does the same job
8%
TO quote Marty Stop wasting my time with polls!!!
8%

Total votes: 13

Mid A 15
Button Grecian

More On Health

Post by Mid A 15 »

Given the recent recommendation from a high ranking doctor that the NHS should not fund alternative treatments I wondered what people thought on here.

We have nurses, midwives, beneficiaries of acapuncture (?spelling) etc as well as NHS managers and admin staff on the forum.

What do you all think?
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Tim_MaA_MidB
Deputy Grecian

Post by Tim_MaA_MidB »

"The more you know, the more you realise how little you know."

I think that's how the quote goes anyway...

Also,

the power of some alternative medicines may lie in the mind of the patient, ....I read somewhere that people on the receiving end of the dummy medicine in clinical trials, sometimes react as if they had received the real medicine.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

How does that explain homeopathic treatments working for animals then?
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
BTaylor
Deputy Grecian

Re: More On Health

Post by BTaylor »

Mid A 15 wrote:Given the recent recommendation from a high ranking doctor that the NHS should not fund alternative treatments I wondered what people thought on here.

We have nurses, midwives, beneficiaries of acapuncture (?spelling) etc as well as NHS managers and admin staff on the forum.

What do you all think?
The group of doctors (not just one) didn't actually say that no alternative treatments should be funded. They said that treatments that could not demonstrate clear clinical evidence of success should not be funded by a cash strapped NHS.

I don't necessarily agree with the assertion, but it's been poorly reported in the media.
Thornton 85-92
Tim_MaA_MidB
Deputy Grecian

Post by Tim_MaA_MidB »

Mrs C. wrote:How does that explain homeopathic treatments working for animals then?
It doesn't, all I'm saying (trying to say) is, that it is wrong to say that alternative treatments don't work just because you can't explain how they work. No one knows how to explain the recovery of people who take a panacea.... but it has been demonstrated. So, have the benficial effects of many alternative fields of medicine.

Sometimes the explanations for phenomenae(sp?) that you don't understand are just around the corner.

(Sorry my English is going down the pan...too much time spent trying to learn Portuguese... that's my excuse anyway.)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Phenomena is the plural, phenomenon is the singular.

On the thread Jude started I said that chiropractic had dealt with a 20-year-old back problem, proved on X-rays by the way.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

It all depends on what you mean by alternative medicine. I have great respect for some traditional medicines and healers - but not all. Sadly the problem is finding which is which. Part of The Royal Geographic Society's Expedition to Borneo that we were involved with was investgating local medicine lore. The scientists frequently found that there were active ingredients in the plants used and that these same ingredients, or synthetic forms, are in use in Western medicine.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

Blair defends huge GP salaries - all doctors to be offered peerages

Tony Blair has come out in defence of GPs after it was reported that some of them earn even more than he does: "The extra money that New Labour has pumped into the NHS is paying off," said the Prime Minister, "it's paying off the doctors to be precise. And they can now afford to give some of that money back to New Labour in return for a nice red leather seat in The House Of Lords."

The latest news has sparked an outrage amongst nurses' and patients' groups: "We're outraged!" said a nurses' union. "It's outrageous!" said a patients' group. "It's fantastic!" said a doctor from his large yacht in Barbados.

The Liberal Democrats were quick to condemn the figures: "This another example of the government's appalling mismanagement of, of ,of....b****r it - what are talking about again?" said Menzies Campbell.

Tory spokesman Dr Liam Fox meanwhile was unavailable for comment: "Liam's away in the Caribbean," said a Conservative official.

The BNP declined to condemn or praise the news on account that they were unsure as to the ethnic backgrounds of the doctors involved.
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

I believe that the traditional way in China is that you pay your acupuncturist while he keeps you well, and not when you are unwell. But then it is a whole philosophy of mind and body, yin and yang, of holistic well-being with regular treatments, not a quick fix, pill-popping exercise. In no way am I knocking the NHS and those practitioners who work within the remit of conventional medicine, but a few thousand years is a hell of a time to develop and understand a subject, albeit one as complex as the human 'bean'. And just because it cannot be understood in a Western framework of thought, does that make it any less valid?
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Incidentally osteopathy and chiropractic is used on horses too.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Tim_MaA_MidB
Deputy Grecian

Post by Tim_MaA_MidB »

In Brazil, they are paranoid about bio-piracy. Very strict penalties are imposed on individuals and companies that try to take plants and animals out of the country to research them for their beneficial properties.

"In broad terms, biopiracy removes the rights of communities (mostly in developing countries) and instead supports the rights of private institutions (mostly in developed countries) that are granted patents."

"...According to one estimate, for example, the germplasm from developing countries being used in the global pharmaceutical industry was worth at least US$32 billion a year in the early 1990s. Yet developing countries receive only a minute fraction of this for the raw materials and knowledge that they contribute to the growth of some of the world’s largest industries."

Unfortunately the laws that Brazil (and other countries) have implemented are stifling research even in the developing countries where the biological material originates.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

englishangel wrote:Incidentally osteopathy and chiropractic is used on horses too.

...... and guinea pigs.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

And acupuncture can be used successfully on animals also.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
BTaylor
Deputy Grecian

Post by BTaylor »

cj wrote:And acupuncture can be used successfully on animals also.
Mmmmmm...kebabs.
Thornton 85-92
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:Incidentally osteopathy and chiropractic is used on horses too.
How the hell do you stay on a horse while being treated, Mary ???
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.