Current reading matter

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Stan
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Stan »

My current read is 'bl**dy Foreigners - The story of immigration to Britain'

My wife bought this for me for Christmas. Maybe she was telling me something. Nor sure what as she is Czech.

I am halfway through and have got as far as the Victorian era. I have to say I'm thoroughly confused as to what British/English means.

I blame the French when they invaded in 1066. Still fresh in my mind.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Having a good Mitford read, so, Mary Lovell's book about the girls and Nancy Mitford's "The Blessing".

Love

Munch
sport!
Deputy Grecian

Post by sport! »

Just finished Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks, which I'd highly recommend and before that Fathers and Sons by Turgenev, my obligatory "now and then" classic, also very good IMO. Now onto something that I got for Christmas called Nemesis by Bill Napier which is poor, in fact I doubt I'll have the will to finish it.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Just finished The Palin Diaries - enjoyable in an indefinable way.

Half way through The Corfu Trilogy - My Family & Other Animals, Birds Beasts & Relatives, and Garden of the Gods, in one volume. Has anyone been to Corfu recently? I was last there in, er, about 1978. Is any part of the island still unspoilt?
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I was there in 1984 and 1987, the pink villa was unspoilt in 84 and didn't get there in 87 as had a little one and we were in the far southwest.

I have no idea what it is loike 20 years on but the Greeks don'tr let anyone build too high.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I am reading 'Angels and Demons' bought by my younger son for me for christmas. Unfortunately it is all a pretense as I borrowed it from Jude and have already read it. OOps!
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

englishangel wrote:I am reading 'Angels and Demons' bought by my younger son for me for christmas. Unfortunately it is all a pretense as I borrowed it from Jude and have already read it. OOps!
Where is (i.e not on here) and how is Jude?
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I am reading Vikram Seth 'An Equal Music', I haven't got into it yet, it was very highly recommended but .... Do you have to be musical to enjoy it?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

"Bomber Boys"

A collection of memories from the boys in Bomber Command in WWII !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

I really want to read the Palin Diaries and Nigel Havers autobiography which mum got at xmas.

I am ripping through Jilly Cooper's Wicked, although so far no where near as good as Riders, Polo, Man who and appassionata! Ohhh I love them :)
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Mid A 15 wrote:
englishangel wrote:I am reading 'Angels and Demons' bought by my younger son for me for christmas. Unfortunately it is all a pretense as I borrowed it from Jude and have already read it. OOps!
Where is (i.e not on here) and how is Jude?
http://journals.aol.co.uk/judicomber/cats-in-care/
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

I`m currently reading my way through several Jeffery Deaver books which I`ve picked up in charity shops over the last few months. Finished "The Twelfth Card" last night and starting "The Stone Monkey" today.
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

As an aside, BucksCC has closed some village libraries rounfd here including our local one. I think they wanted to sell it for development but apparently the land was given only for 'education of the masses' or some such.

Several (including ours) have been taken over by local consortia and they have put out a call for books so today we are off to the library with a couple of boxes. I must admit most of them are my daughters 'Pony' books, she was going to get rid of them before Uni and decifded that if she gave them to the library at least she would be able to borrow them back.
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

Katharine wrote:I am reading Vikram Seth 'An Equal Music', I haven't got into it yet, it was very highly recommended but .... Do you have to be musical to enjoy it?
I really enjoyed it, and I'm not musical. I never really got into 'A Suitable Boy', though I did eventually finish it.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Blondie!

Post by Angela Woodford »

blondie95 wrote:I am ripping through Jilly Cooper's Wicked, although so far no where near as good as Riders, Polo, Man who and appassionata! Ohhh I love them :)
Blondie, I am so thrilled to hear that you love Jilly Cooper!

I do agree that "Wicked!" is far more put-downable though. Although I enjoyed Uncle Harley.

I still retain a soft spot for the early romantic novels - Prudence, Imogen and Octavia particularly. Maybe because my dear CH friend Deirdre Hobbs sent me the collection when I was particularly down, divorcing my first husband. I thought at the time I would never laugh again, but those little novels were so fresh and funny.

And when I had a much younger boyfriend, I realised the research that must have gone into the Man Who Made Husbands Jealous!

See you in Waterstones, Maidstone?

Love

Munch