New £20 note

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

Hannoir wrote:I honestly cant believe people dont know who Adam Smith is.
I've only heard of him through playing Civilisation (a computer game).
Mary
CH 1965-1972
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:I have never done economics anywhere and I had heard of him.

I suppose it is like watching University Challenge, if you live long enough you can answer most of the questions.
Show Off !

I can manage about a quarter !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I must admit I have bit of a blank when it comes to music questions. But it never ceases to amze me when science students answer History and Literature questions, how on earth have 20 year-olds had time to learn that stuff?
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:I must admit I have bit of a blank when it comes to music questions. But it never ceases to amze me when science students answer History and Literature questions, how on earth have 20 year-olds had time to learn that stuff?
It's either retentive memory or because they are not doing enough course work when they should be !!
Stan
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Stan »

These new notes do stand out.
From my experience around shops etc. not a lot of people were aware of the new note with a lot questioning their legitimacy.

The one question which is puzzling me is why has a Scotsman been put on the back of a Bank of England note?

The Scots have their own notes and I am wondering if a famous Englishman or Welshman has ever been put on one of theirs.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

One of the buildings at Glasgow Uni is named after Adam Smith. Funnily enough it's the Politics and Economics departments. I'd never heard of him at school though. I haven't seen the new note, but I do like the Eddie Elgar one, with the cathedral and notes flying around around behind him.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Stan wrote:The one question which is puzzling me is why has a Scotsman been put on the back of a Bank of England note?
Maybe because our next PM will be scots?
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

englishangel wrote:I must admit I have bit of a blank when it comes to music questions. But it never ceases to amze me when science students answer History and Literature questions, how on earth have 20 year-olds had time to learn that stuff?
i think you will find a vast majority of team members on University Challenge are MA/Phd students and are normally mid-late 20's, of ocurse there are younger ones.

I generally get 4 questions and normally these are history and literary questions
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

For those who might be interested - ie none of you - I am informed that the Independent has an article about Adam Smith today.
Probably also available on the internet.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I heard today that the new notes are causing consternation - one of our local shops refused one thinking it was one of the Scottish notes (forget which bank). Our local Natwest has had people coming inside from the ATM complaining they have been given Euros not pounds sterling. I think the Bank of England should have done a little more publicity about this change!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

MKM wrote:
Hannoir wrote:I honestly cant believe people dont know who Adam Smith is.
I've only heard of him through playing Civilisation (a computer game).
I have never heard of Adam Smith. So boggle away, Hannoir. But then, I went to a school which missed masses of stuff I should have known.

Munch
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

makes me laugh how English shops refuse to take Scottish notes! often i used to come home from family visits to Scotland and have some Scottish notes and quite often when i tried to use them in england people would spend ages looking at them asking colleagues if they were legal!
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Stan wrote:The one question which is puzzling me is why has a Scotsman been put on the back of a Bank of England note?

The Scots have their own notes and I am wondering if a famous Englishman or Welshman has ever been put on one of theirs.
Scottish notes are not issued by any State or semi-State body. They are issued by individual banks, some of which you can see represented in your local high street. (example; British Linen Bank used to be owned by Barclays Bank). As "private" organisations they are only restricted as to design by security requirements and decency.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Scottish notes ARE legal tender in England.

Here's a question for you anoraks to work out.

How many types of LEGAL £10 notes are issued in Scotland, or come to that, £5 or £20.

You might be surprised.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

J.R. wrote:Scottish notes ARE legal tender in England.
Yes, you're right (I never would have doubted you anyway, J.R.!). I used to get very ticked off when I came home from uni and shops would refuse to take my Scottish money. Despite vociferous but polite protestations to the contrary, the customer, ie. me, was never seen as right! And the PR for this is diabolical. If I hadn't been a member of this forum, I'd never have known about the change.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.