Christmas present ideas?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Christmas present ideas?

Post by jtaylor »

For the history fan:-
http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProd ... sku=372204
Reduced to only £39.99 for this week, 11 DVD Box set, and possibly the best WWII documentary ever made.

Anyone got other suggestions for maybe more imaginative Christmas presents, especially in this "got everything" world?

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

For the last couple of years we have bought gifts from the Oxfam catalogue for the family - toilets, fishing nets, school books, mango trees, goats etc, books from the wonderful second-hand book stall in the Tavistock Pannier market, all supplemented with a jar of homemade relish, strawberry vodka or a cake. Trying to keep it environmentally friendly, recyclable and local but not too twee I hope. Actually we're spoilt for choice here as apart from all the stalls in the pannier market, there is a brilliant delicatessen (Crebers), a local cheese shop (for local people!) and an amazing handmade soap shop all within spitting distance.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

cj wrote:For the last couple of years we have bought gifts from the Oxfam catalogue for the family - toilets...
Did you think that would slip by unnoticed...?
Jo
Button Grecian

Re: Christmas present ideas?

Post by Jo »

jtaylor wrote:Anyone got other suggestions for maybe more imaginative Christmas presents, especially in this "got everything" world?

J
http://www.iwantoneofthose.com. I've adopted a vine for my other half this Christmas. That's one of the more sensible choices.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Ajarn Philip wrote:
cj wrote:For the last couple of years we have bought gifts from the Oxfam catalogue for the family - toilets...
It's true!! We bought a pair (?) of toilets for my husband's first set of in-laws (rechristened the out-laws after his marriage to me!). They took it in the spirit with which it was given. I think. Although they haven't spoken to us since last year ...

kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I bought a third world loo via World Vision, last year, as a 'gift' for some friends who have everything. They thought it was a hoot....and hopefully the loo itself was of some use to other people in need.
I'm sitting on a range of 'alternative gift' catalogues this year - the range of opportunities has exploded since someone (probably Oxfam) launched the idea not very many years ago.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

For me, this is what Christmas is about. The 'gift' aspect of Christmas doesn't always have to mean us receiving 'stuff'. With regard to the Oxfam/World Vision type catalogues, to be able to give something that could be life-changing, or at the very least life-easing, is arguably our duty. I have everything I need to live a comfortable life - the roof on our house is fairly water-tight and we are warm in winter, the TV might be 15 years old but it shows 4 channels night and day, I have a washing machine and a hoover to help with the everyday chores, a lovely kitchen in which to prepare our meals and (just about) enough money to live on. I don't want any more bits that I have to dust, I don't want chocolates as I'm on a diet, I don't want clothes as I have enough to be getting on with and it's more to wash and iron. The things that I actually want are 1) to pay the mortgage off and more importantly 2) stress free time with my family and friends over the holidays, doing things that create memories and spread happiness rather than adding more inches to my hips and more minus signs on the bank balance. It's a Christmas revolution!!

Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

We have all agreed so only buy silly stocking-filler presents each ( maximum 3 pounds think pack of pencils covered in glitter ), and instead all chip in to the costs of the family Xmas at Lou's (hopefully) future in-laws. None of us are very wealthy, and it makes far more sense.

( oh, but I am making a box of vanilla/chocolate/coffee fudge for future Father-in-law, who has a sweet tooth ! )
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

The Daily Mail gave away all the World at War DVDs a few weeks ago so I had top buy the paper every day to collect the coupons.

We gave teachers and midwives last year to adults, all the next generation are now students so something folding for them.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

cj wrote:
Ajarn Philip wrote:
It's true!! We bought a pair (?) of toilets for my husband's first set of in-laws (rechristened the out-laws after his marriage to me!). They took it in the spirit with which it was given. I think. Although they haven't spoken to us since last year ...
Sorry to harp on about what may seem a trivial subject to those of you in the non-squatting, comfortably-seated with appropriate light reading material UK, but what is a toilet doing in the Oxfam catalogue? (And did your out-laws replace their current toilets with your Xmas gifts?) And how much are they? Because there's a serious niche in the market out here, believe you me!
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Toilets for Africa, with corrugated roofs and walls. Not second-hand ones in the shop.

Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

englishangel wrote:The Daily Mail gave away all the World at War DVDs a few weeks ago so I had top buy the paper every day to collect the coupons.

We gave teachers and midwives last year to adults, all the next generation are now students so something folding for them.
Am I being a bit stupid here? I need a translation! Maybe I've been away too long... :)
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

cj wrote:Toilets for Africa, with corrugated roofs and walls. Not second-hand ones in the shop.
Ah, I've got the idea now. Not quite what I was thinking of - plenty of those here already!

Apologies all round, I seem to be functioning at about 30% efficiency this evening.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/Browse.asp ... ry=UWGifts

I think I posted this last year but here for Philip is the website.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Ajarn Philip wrote:
cj wrote:Toilets for Africa, with corrugated roofs and walls. Not second-hand ones in the shop.
Ah, I've got the idea now. Not quite what I was thinking of - plenty of those here already!

Apologies all round, I seem to be functioning at about 30% efficiency this evening.
You are being very dense, dear. Is everything alright?

As an on-topic thought, what do you do in Thailand at Christmas - owt or nowt?