Yoghurt

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Isn't Fiona Bruce lovely?

Yes
56%
Yes
44%

Total votes: 9

marty
Grecian

Yoghurt

Post by marty »

Why is it that if you open your yoghurt towards you the contents always come spurting out all over your nice clean shirt? Yet open the yoghurt away from you and the contents then decide there's no point moving if there's no one there and stay put. Does anyone else feel like inanimate objects are ganging up on them?
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
midget
Button Grecian

Re: Yoghurt

Post by midget »

marty wrote:Why is it that if you open your yoghurt towards you the contents always come spurting out all over your nice clean shirt? Yet open the yoghurt away from you and the contents then decide there's no point moving if there's no one there and stay put. Does anyone else feel like inanimate objects are ganging up on them?
Of course they do. It's a subsection of sod's law
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

But Fiona Bruce is lovely isn't she?
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Isaac Asimov wrote a short story which was about something like this. Not sod's law, but about psychic inanimate objects.

It was about a salt that dissolved so quickly that it dissolved before it was even put in water.

He wrote it as a joke and it was published shortly before his PhD viva (he thought it would not be published until afterwards)

He had a tough exam and then one of the professors leant forward and said "Perhaps you could tell us something about the physical properies of sublimated thiotimoline DOCTOR Asimov".
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

What I cannot understand is why anyone in their right mind (assuming that they are) should want to shovel down their throats concoctions of live bacteria; I spend half my time trying to keep bacteria at bay and have a drawer full of pills to prove it.

As for Midget's inocent suggestion as to what people go back to the UK for - including my neighbour, it was far to close to the bone for comfort in both timing and content;

For those musicians amongst you and especially his pupils - http://www.bbcmusicmagazine.com/newsread.asp?id=21960
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

sejintenej wrote:What I cannot understand is why anyone in their right mind (assuming that they are) should want to shovel down their throats concoctions of live bacteria; I spend half my time trying to keep bacteria at bay and have a drawer full of pills to prove it.

As for Midget's inocent suggestion as to what people go back to the UK for - including my neighbour, it was far to close to the bone for comfort in both timing and content;

For those musicians amongst you and especially his pupils - http://www.bbcmusicmagazine.com/newsread.asp?id=21960
Obviously someone who has not done biology.

We have many bacteria in our bodies as symbiotes, the 'good' bacteria which help the 'bad' bacteria at bay.

Unfortunately all those antibiotics kill the good bacteria as well as the bad leqaving us wide open to things like thrush and probably many others as well.

I have not had antibiotics since I was 23 and of my three kids, one had anitbiotics when he had appendicitis/peritonitis (lifesaving) one who had them for a middle ear infection at the age of 18 months (hearing saving) and one who has never had antibiotics in her life.
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

hear, hear, Mary ! Definitely with you on this - processed food kills of so much of natural bacteria as well, but live yoghourt is a good way of replenishing this. I have managed to alleviate a good deal of my IBS symptoms with yohgourt ( natural live, not the oversugared over-additived commercial rubbish available), and have only had to take antibiotics, in the last 15 years, for a case of pneumonia...

On the original thread subject: this is, of course, covered by Murphy's First Law of Dynamics ( itself a corollary of Murphy's First Law, which states that anything that can go wrong will ) , which also stipulates that buttered bread always falls butter-side down - unless, of course, it has been buttered on the wrong side...
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

erm...how do you butter bread on the 'wrong' side?
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

englishangel wrote:erm...how do you butter bread on the 'wrong' side?
there is a " shaggy dog " story which explains this....
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Back to the poll.

Observer Woman this sunday has 'Fiona Bruce on feminisim' and a photo for Marty to take to bed on the cover.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

englishangel wrote:
sejintenej wrote:What I cannot understand is why anyone in their right mind (assuming that they are) should want to shovel down their throats concoctions of live bacteria; I spend half my time trying to keep bacteria at bay and have a drawer full of pills to prove it.

Obviously someone who has not done biology.

We have many bacteria in our bodies as symbiotes, the 'good' bacteria which help the 'bad' bacteria at bay.

Unfortunately all those antibiotics kill the good bacteria as well as the bad leqaving us wide open to things like thrush and probably many others as well.

I have not had antibiotics since I was 23 and of my three kids, one had anitbiotics when he had appendicitis/peritonitis (lifesaving) one who had them for a middle ear infection at the age of 18 months (hearing saving) and one who has never had antibiotics in her life.
Bio;logy was, in my days, known as bilge and as a sailing person I knew that the bilge was the place where you would find the most dirty and horrible stuff imaginable. Hence "bilge" was an accurate description.

"Good bacteria" I know about - the doctor prescribed antibiotics for my daughter (pre - years from memory) and almost killed her. We had to give her vitamins. However the disease causing bacteria - who needs them especially when surgeons spread them all over the victim?

Some years ago I had a rock fall on the back of my ankle - a common enough occurrance except that the tendon was half destroyed by infection and the bone damaged. The doctor tried everything as did the local herbalists, all to no avail. It came within days of amputation when the doctor heard of the stuff which looks like gauze covered in honey and wrote off for some. It worked - the first time penicillin had been used in the community. Since then I've had plenty of antibiotics (lots of wounds) and now take corticosteroids daily - I hate to think what they do to bacteria.

I still don't like the idea of eating worms - even if they are tiny ones wriggling around (and I don't like the taste either!)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Bacteria love corticosteroids, they do the same to them as they do to bodybuilders.

Honey has well-known anit-bacterial properties. Edible honey has been found in the Tombs of the Pharaohs.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Fiona did tell me whilst we were on holiday, that she's found a WONDERFUL use for natural live yoghurt !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote:Fiona did tell me whilst we were on holiday, that she's found a WONDERFUL use for natural live yoghurt !
please - we just don't want to know - though we probably do already. Just make sure you don't get her pregnant - it might be so well fed it will be too big to be borne.
I was going to write that we missed you, but with such innuendos I start to wonder.

As for the English Angel's honey, yes I use it on cabrasions etc. for exactly that reason. Pity wasps like it though. If corticosteriods do for stomach bacteria what steriods do for weightlifters, will I start to look pregnant? (and especially at my age).

Since I play around with weights (well, bags of cement etc.) and I take steroids how come my muscles are wasting away, nurse?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

wrong sort of steroids