TORNADO !

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

TORNADO !

Post by J.R. »

Just thought you might be interested to know that the Sussex tornado passed immediately over our heads in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Jan and I were staying with friends on the border of Peacehaven and Telscombe. I was awaked to the most incredible wailing whistling noise, increasing in volume, then dying out almost immediately but followed by an absolute deluge of water.

It wasn't til we turned the TV onto the local news later in the day that we saw pictures of the tornado, (water-spout), coming in from the Channel and working its way along the cliff top before fizzling out before reaching Newhaven.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

Post by UserRequestedRemoval »

How did Jan take it? It all happens to you doesn't it JR
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: TORNADO !

Post by Mid A 15 »

J.R. wrote:Just thought you might be interested to know that the Sussex tornado passed immediately over our heads in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Jan and I were staying with friends on the border of Peacehaven and Telscombe. I was awaked to the most incredible wailing whistling noise, increasing in volume, then dying out almost immediately but followed by an absolute deluge of water.

It wasn't til we turned the TV onto the local news later in the day that we saw pictures of the tornado, (water-spout), coming in from the Channel and working its way along the cliff top before fizzling out before reaching Newhaven.
Boasting you made the earth move JR :?: :wink:

DIVERSION
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Jan slept through it.

I must hasten to add that was after an extremely long session in the Newhave Conservative Club, so I'm extremely surprised the noise awoke me.

I've NEVER heard a wind quite like it. Very spooky.
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

Remember the hurricances back in the late 1980s, when seven oaks became one oak? I slept right through that one despite a tree landing outside the flat.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

soc wrote:Remember the hurricances back in the late 1980s, when seven oaks became one oak? I slept right through that one despite a tree landing outside the flat.
Slept through that one as well - could sleep through that but not EALs cheery morning greeting :lol:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

My first wife accused me of having bad wind that night
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Back to the original topic....................

Not sure how long this BBC link will last for:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/southerncounties/c ... lery.shtml
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

Those are some great photos JR
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

about 4 years ago we had an earthquake - which started I think near Dudley Birmingham...... I went and woke up son and sais " we are having an earthquake!" -"don't be so Bloddy silly mother, go back to sleep" in the morning, he comes up to me and says - "Mum WE HAD AN EARTHQUAKE LAST NIGHT!"

men!
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

Oh dear time to sit in disguise hoping that Jude doesn't notice I am male and I haven't done anything wrong!
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

The weather is certainly very strange at the moment. Yesterday I took a train from West Sussex to Cardiff (for a brief, very small, OB reunion) but it was delayed by 40 minutes due to an earlier lineside fire just outside London. In those 40 minutes I was stuck on a country platform with little shelter (except my umbrella), in a series of cloudbursts. When, eventually, sodden, I got onto a train and opened my suitcase to take out a pullover, I found the entire contents of the case equally sodden (and I was 90 minutes late at my destination). The soaking included my prior notes for my FD speech to Caledonian Old Blues in 2+ weeks time, which were in e mail printouts, word printouts and handwritten notes, in a softback notebook. AArrgghh!
If any Caledonian Old Blues are reading this, please forgive any sogginess in my delivery!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Vonny wrote:
soc wrote:Remember the hurricances back in the late 1980s, when seven oaks became one oak? I slept right through that one despite a tree landing outside the flat.
Slept through that one as well - could sleep through that but not EALs cheery morning greeting :lol:
I've slept through an earthquake which pulled down multistorey buildings 2 miles away and left a deep crack across the drive 8 feet from my head. I slept through the 1987 storm (you know it was not a hurricane becaise Mr Fish said it wasn't).

However, 3 years ago, having afternoon tea in the lounge, I noticed that the other side of the valley had disappeared. A few minutes later the trees along the old railway line had gone. Yet a few minutes later the road had gone in the mist, and very soon the lime tree had disappeared - it is 8 feet from the lounge window.
It was then that the water started to come in over the door, past the sides of the door and under the door, cascading down the steps and out the door on the other side of the house.
I didn't hear the chimney cross the roof, striking a corner in its path before falling to earth. (Later I found 50 pound roof tiles 20 feet higher in the oak tree than the ridge of the house).

...........and suddenly there was silence. We put down our cups, breathed deeply and set to work chopping up the trees littering the tracks up to the woods. That was our mini-tornado which devastated an area about a mile wide and 8 miles long.
We were lucky; the house is used to 100 mph winds - we had nearly that this morning before sending it up to you! Enjoy.

David
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

soc wrote:Oh dear time to sit in disguise hoping that Jude doesn't notice I am male and I haven't done anything wrong!
Yes you have - youv'e been a bloke!!!
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

Shhhhhhhh don't tell her