Ascension Day

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Katharine
Button Grecian

Ascension Day

Post by Katharine »

Is Ascension Day celebrated at Horsham? Was it celebrated in the past? We had a whole day's holiday for it and it was a very special day in the school year - much anticipated but then it did not always live up to our hopes!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
midget
Button Grecian

Re: Ascension Day

Post by midget »

Depends what you were hoping for, I suppose. Admittedly my experience of Ascension Day was during the post-war austerity. We spent the morning after chapel preparing for a "picnic" (hunks of bread and jam, and school buns). We trailed up the road for what seemed like hours, it was usually cold and/or damp. After the glorious afternoon we returned for tea(?) and then provided for each other a ghastly "entertainment" in which everyone was expected to take part. Failing memory mercifully draws a veil over the day in 1's, my first,terrified of everone, year.
What a miserable old bat I am!
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Can't remember anything special in Horsham, but I am intrigued by the fact that it is a Bank Holiday in Sweden, yet in Catholic Spain, it is this Sunday.
I wonder why the difference since I always understood it to be 40 days after Easter Sunday.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

jhopgood wrote:Can't remember anything special in Horsham, but I am intrigued by the fact that it is a Bank Holiday in Sweden, yet in Catholic Spain, it is this Sunday.
I wonder why the difference since I always understood it to be 40 days after Easter Sunday.
Today is a Bank Holiday in France specifically as Ascension Day despite France now being pretty strictly non-religious. (They can't even have seminaries where priests, Rabbis and the rest are trained and anything else with religious conotations needs a hard to get licence. One Catholic school even moved to England because it's existence in France is not allowed)).
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

jhopgood wrote:Can't remember anything special in Horsham, but I am intrigued by the fact that it is a Bank Holiday in Sweden, yet in Catholic Spain, it is this Sunday.
Ascension Day is still Thursday in the Catholic calendar but the Mass marking the day is now celebrated on the nearest Sunday rather than the day itself as of two or three years ago.

The same is true of other weekday feasts such as Epiphany and Corpus Christi.

I think the reason is a combination of falling Mass attendances for these midwek Holy Days of Obligation and an increasing shortage of Priests.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Ascension Day is also a holiday in Finland, which is not the most religious of countries - of any persuasion!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

According to the school calendar, there was a Festival Eucharist at 8.30am.
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

Don't recall having a holiday on this day at CH in the 80s...

Here in Luxemburg it's a holiday and as it falls on a Thursday everyone is doing a "pont" and taking Friday off too. Logic as on the manufacturing side it makes no sense for costs to turn off the machines on Wednesday and thurn them back on again just for Friday. So they have the pont and me as a duffer am stuck in the office..writing to you all! :D
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

A bit :offtopic: but of course in the US Thanksgiving is the 4th Thursday in November and everyone takes a 'pont' on the Friday. All other holidays are celebrated on a Monday, well except Christmas and New Year of course though Christmas is not a 'religious' holiday as the Founding Fathers wrote that into the Constitution. :backtotopic:
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Ascension Day is a holiday in Germany. Last year it fell on May 1 (also a holiday), so we lost out.

At Horsham in the 50s I think we had a slightly longer chapel service, which probably meant no PT in the correspondingly shorter morning break.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

michael scuffil wrote:Ascension Day is a holiday in Germany. Last year it fell on May 1 (also a holiday), so we lost out.

At Horsham in the 50s I think we had a slightly longer chapel service, which probably meant no PT in the correspondingly shorter morning break.
I think you're right !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

Sejintenej wrote:
One Catholic school even moved to England because it's existence in France is not allowed
??? I'm pretty sure that the school in Rennes with which an exchange is arranged every year for LE pupils is an independent Catholic school. The state education system in France is certainly secular though (but I can't see how a state-funded school could have moved to England!).
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

midget wrote:Depends what you were hoping for, I suppose. Admittedly my experience of Ascension Day was during the post-war austerity. We spent the morning after chapel preparing for a "picnic" (hunks of bread and jam, and school buns). We trailed up the road for what seemed like hours, it was usually cold and/or damp. After the glorious afternoon we returned for tea(?) and then provided for each other a ghastly "entertainment" in which everyone was expected to take part. Failing memory mercifully draws a veil over the day in 1's, my first,terrified of everone, year.
This is just how remember it at Hertford in the late 60's/early 70's.! Times didn't change much there during the 30 years of DR's headship.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

I'm glad it wasn't just me!
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

fra828 wrote:
midget wrote:Depends what you were hoping for, I suppose. Admittedly my experience of Ascension Day was during the post-war austerity. We spent the morning after chapel preparing for a "picnic" (hunks of bread and jam, and school buns). We trailed up the road for what seemed like hours, it was usually cold and/or damp. After the glorious afternoon we returned for tea(?) and then provided for each other a ghastly "entertainment" in which everyone was expected to take part. Failing memory mercifully draws a veil over the day in 1's, my first,terrified of everone, year.
This is just how remember it at Hertford in the late 60's/early 70's.! Times didn't change much there during the 30 years of DR's headship.
There is a picture on here somewhere of a 2's Ascension Day trip to Kenwood in 1970, which was fantastic. I think a lot of it was down to how imaginative the Sixth form was and we had a good one that year. That and the first one (when we went on a double decker bus) are the only two I remember.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"