A thought on self-moderation

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

Post by Ruthie-Baby(old a/c) »

DavebytheSea wrote:I was being serious!! - especially now we have a nice thread specially designed for the purpose.
oh sorry. dammit.
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

I agree with all that has beensaid, some topics di seriously digress and thats why we need the other thread's. However some thread's do not digress that much they are still loosely on topic, last time i checked favourite cars was still on track, there had been banter about things to do with it but nothing big and also why are woman so scared of was on track as well!

But any way yes i think we should stick to subject titles and i will hold my hand up and say that im sorry for any digression but i will not move it to the smut threads even if it isnt smut as im sure it will become smutty at some point! :D
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

Seriously though the forum is always going off topic and is full of injokes that will make anyone not "in" feel excluded...even I have felt that way sometime.

So I reckon that any off topic in-jokes should only be allowed in this forum - all the other forums should stay on topic (and the mods should enforce this)
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

DavebytheSea wrote:I was being serious!! - especially now we have a nice thread specially designed for the purpose.
I fully agree with the request to keep very strictly on topic. I don't know if the facility exists for some threads to be posted to only by the moderators; if so proposed posts could be sent to them.

Of course the number and volume of articles submitted for consideration would have to be minimised; I have in mind the Forum Donation Accounts thread which has grown to 69 posts about Shoz' cat, televisions (lack of)........
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

i agree with original post.

it's a pet hate of mine and i'm glad i'm not the only one. though i'm sure i'm guilty of digressing, quite a few members veer way off track in their very first post in any given thread. this makes it really hard to get back on track.
Rory
Deputy Grecian

Post by Rory »

Wow - you're all so serious last night.....
When I read that type of stuff I'm immediately tempted to give a short discourse on northern hairy nosed wombats and the fact that there are only 112 left living in the wild in Australia now - (and none in captivity) and how Katriona McCallum is working hard , studying their breeding habits etc. in order to try to increase the NHNW population. And did you know - they all live in Epping Forest (Queensland - not near London).....
Whenever anyone tells me to be serious or stay on topic - I want to do the opposite. So - out of respect for all those serious ones - I'll keep away from sticky's and try to digress only on other threads. Otherwise - I'll have to consider setting up threads on the inherent deviancy of dolphins, and other such important issues.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Hendrik wrote:i agree with original post.

it's a pet hate of mine and i'm glad i'm not the only one. though i'm sure i'm guilty of digressing, quite a few members veer way off track in their very first post in any given thread. this makes it really hard to get back on track.
What do the mods think?
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Rory
Deputy Grecian

Post by Rory »

While they're at it - what do the rockers think as well....
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Rory wrote:While they're at it - what do the rockers think as well....
Oh do be serious!! :lol: Naughty person......
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Rory
Deputy Grecian

Post by Rory »

sorry .....I feel so guilty now......when Hendrik was talking about pet hates - all I kept thinking was I hate it when the cat sh1ts on the floor....
but I didn't post it becasue I was really trying to stay on the topic...
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Oh dear...

I think, that until a decision is made from on high, that anything that is stickyed or in the CHA discussion, CH annoucements etc should be as on topic as poss...

what do others think?
Rory
Deputy Grecian

Post by Rory »

Agreed
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Rory wrote:Agreed
If the temptation is too strong, post a divert ......... or in Sean's case, have a fag.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Good plan - lets see how we get on...
Rory
Deputy Grecian

Post by Rory »

I haven't figured out this divert business yet - is it just that if I want to say something that's not relevant - then I post in in that divert place???